The Lester Buresh Family Community Wellness Center “the LBC” welcomes patrons of all ages to enjoy the facility and programs. The LBC was designed as a shared use facility. Exclusive use of the facility can be done through rental. The following policies are in effect to ensure the accessibility and enjoyment of all.
FACILITY USE POLICIES & RULES
- A valid identification card is required for entrance to the Wellness Center. ID cards are non-transferable. The cards are proximity-oriented, and each member must electronically register his or her visit. No “tag-alongs” are allowed. There is a replacement fee of $5 for minor membership cards, and $10 replacement fee for 24/7 access cards.
- Guests must register at the welcome desk to obtain a guest pass, pay the daily fee, and sign the Release of Liability form. Any guest under the age of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian register and sign Release of Liability before any use of the facility.
- Participation is at your own risk. A Release of Liability form must be on file for every participant.
- All accidents must be reported to Wellness Center staff.
- Participants are encouraged to report any maintenance or repair needed to Wellness Center staff or supervisors. Cost of damage repair occurring to the Wellness Center facility or equipment may be assessed to the responsible individual.
- All patrons are expected to be responsible, courteous, and safety conscious at all times. Disorderly conduct, abuse or misuse of the facility or its equipment, or disregard for policies will not be tolerated. Violators will be asked to leave the facility and may be subject to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to, being suspended from using the facilities). Depending on the severity of the violation, case may be referred to City of MVPD or City Council.
- Bicycles, unicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, or hover boards are not allowed to be used inside the facility.
- No outside strollers. Strollers are provided and are allowed throughout the Wellness Center with the exception of the turf room.
- Only certified service animals are allowed in the facility. All other animals, including emotional support animals, are strictly prohibited.
- There are portions of the building that may be used for programs or rentals. Please see the posted schedule for facility usage.
- Personal items should not be left unattended, placed on the floor or on equipment. Patrons are encouraged to use locker rooms or cubbies for belongings. Personal items are not the responsibility of the Wellness Center.
- Recreation Staff members cannot hold equipment or valuables for any participants.
- The welcome desk and administration office cannot make change for patrons or visitors.
- Use of cell phones or photographic equipment are not permitted in the locker rooms.
- Towel service is available. Towels can be checked-out at the welcome desk.
- The Wellness Center is a substance free facility. Possession of alcohol, illegal drugs, and tobacco (this includes smokeless tobacco and e-cigarettes) are not allowed. Possession of such items may result in removal from the facility and further disciplinary action as deemed appropriate by the LBC Director or Recreation Coordinator. The Wellness Center reserves the right to check liquid substances in personal beverage containers.
- Headphones must be used at all times while listening to personal music.
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited.
Minor Age Policies
- Children under the age of 11 must be accompanied by an adult, sibling or sitter who is at least 16 years old or enrolled in a supervised activity/program when using the facility. Children under the age of 11 must remain supervised while in the Wellness Center.
- Children age 11 and older can enter the Wellness Center by displaying a valid membership card or purchase of daily admission and may utilize designated areas without supervision.
- Recreation Staff are present to answer questions, clarify rules, and resolve issues that are brought to their attention. Recreation Staff are not responsible for supervision of any children in the facility.
- Use of the Wellness Center is a privilege. Disciplinary action will be enforced against patrons involved in any issue of theft, bullying, fighting or disrespectful actions among patrons, towards staff, and to the facility.
- Access to the Wellness Center is available to all members 18 years and above, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, including holidays.
- 24/7 accessibility is reserved for members only. Non-member guests are not allowed to enter the facility outside normal business hours. Everyone entering the facility must check in with their membership card at the barcode scanner located at the Welcome Desk.
- Cards belonging to members 17 years and under will not work for 24-hour access. Members 17 and under must enter with an adult member after operational hours.
- Portions of the facility may be closed for maintenance as posted. The Wellness Center will be closed to the public and members for private use events, a maximum of one day per month. Prior notice of all closings will be posted.
- It is imperative that you notify the LBC staff if your card is lost or stolen. A $10.00 fee will be charged to cancel the lost card and reissue a new one.
- 24/7 cards give you access to all gyms, cardio and weight equipment, track and family restrooms/shower. However, outside normal operating hours, the following areas will be closed: rock climbing wall, turf room, flex room, fitness/yoga studio, community room, and locker rooms.
- Security cameras monitor the Wellness Center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- In the case of an emergency, use your cell phone or the Welcome Desk phone to call 9-1-1.
- If you are found disobeying any terms and conditions and/or sharing your access card with other individuals and/or allowing youth 17 years and under to access the center with your card, we reserve the right to immediately limit or cancel your 24/7 access and/or your membership.
Food and Drink
- Food is not allowed at any time upstairs unless otherwise authorized.
- Water and other drinks in securely closed containers may be used in the exercise or gym areas.
- Glass containers are prohibited at all times.
Attire and Footwear
- The Wellness Center staff reserves the right to determine the acceptability of all exercise attire. Failure to dress properly may result in denied access of the Wellness Center.
- Clothing with offensive (vulgar) language, designs, or pictures are not acceptable.
- Cut-off t-shirts/open back shirts that also expose the chest/nipples or skin below the men’s pec line, or women’s bra strap line, throughout any range of motion are not permitted.
- Shorts/pants must be worn for all Wellness Center activities; shorts must be long enough to cover the buttocks and groin throughout any range of motion.
- Appropriate undergarments are required while exercising.
- Properly laundered clothing is required for sanitary reasons.
- Non-marking, soft soled, closed toe athletic shoes must be worn on basketball courts and fitness/yoga studio. Clean, dry shoes not used outdoors are encouraged.
- Jeans, belts, metal zippers, studs, jewelry, etc. are discouraged as they may damage exercise equipment and pose a risk to injury.
Lost and Found
- All found items are stored in a locked location. Valuables (cell phones, wallets, jewelry, etc.) are stored in a safe.
- Report any lost or stolen items to the welcome desk or contact City of MVPD.
- Items can be retrieved at the welcome desk within 30 days.
- All unclaimed items are subject to sale or donation.
- Lockers are for day use only. Participants may use locks to secure their clothing or equipment. Locks and any contents must be removed before closing time.
- Padlocks are available for rent at the Welcome Desk.
- Locks not removed from lockers will be cut off at the owner’s expense and items placed in the lost and found.
Equipment Check Out
- Check out equipment at the Welcome Desk by signing your name, type of equipment, and time.
- It is the member or guest’s responsibility to keep track and return their specific piece of equipment.
- Any checked out equipment must be returned to the Welcome Desk after use.
- If not returned, a hold may be placed on the membership account or replacement fee billed to the individual. The individual may not be allowed to access the facility until the equipment has been returned or the individual has paid for the equipment.
- If equipment is damaged when returned, the patron may be responsible for paying a damage or replacement fee.
All photography, videotaping, etc. within the Wellness Center must be pre-approved by the Wellness Center Administration.
- Once approved, individuals will receive a photography pass that is to be worn at all times while taking photos in the facility. This will signify to facility staff that photography access has been granted.
- Once access is granted, photographers must wear access badge during entire shoot. Badges must be returned to the Welcome Desk at the completion of the shoot.
- Photography must be conducted without disruption or limitations to Wellness Center operations, accessibility of equipment, entrances/exits, doorways, and high traffic areas.
- Photography is permitted for noncommercial use only. Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner.
- Taking photos or video of individuals without their consent is prohibited and is cause for immediate removal from the Wellness Center and may be reported to Wellness Center Administration.
- A suitable location and appropriate time for photo shoots must be agreed upon prior to the shoot.
Rock Climbing Wall
- All climbers must register at the Welcome Desk and complete a Release of Liability. NO EXCEPTIONS
- All climbers must complete a Certification Course to climb independently. A Certification Card will be issued by The LBC staff upon completion.
- All certified climbers must display, or have on file, a Certification Card when climbing independently.
- Climbers must be clipped into the auto belay if the climber’s hands exceed the first-floor ceiling height. Climbers failing to observe the limit will forfeit their climbing privileges.
- A climber under the age of 11 must be supervised by an adult.
- Climbers are required to use ropes provided by the Climbing Wall.
- Non-marking shoes must be worn on the Climbing Wall. Bare feet and boots are not permitted.
- Harnesses must be double-backed at the waist and leg loop and checked by the LBC staff before starting the climb.
- It is the climber’s responsibility to check, double check, and triple check the carabiner is properly attached and locked before climbing.
- Use of chalk is confined to “chalk ball” and must be carried in a chalk bag. No powdered or colored chalk is permitted.
- Climbers must remove all jewelry and loose-fitting clothing before climbing.
- No food or drink will be allowed in the Climbing Wall area.
- Only instruction by the Climbing Wall staff is permitted.
- Any adjustment or rearrangement of holds or climbing routes is performed by the LBC staff.
- Climbers must climb in a safe manner at their own risk.
- Climbing Wall staff has the authority to ask participants to leave the Climbing Wall if their actions are considered to be a hazard to their own or other’s health and safety.
Gym Space/Turf Room
- The use of gym space and turf room are to be used as a shared space. The LBC reserves the right to restrict full court play and batting cage use based on availability. The only way exclusive use can be accomplished is to rent the space or and internal reservation for programmed activity by the LBC.
- Hoops may be lowered by request for younger patrons.
- Additional equipment is available in the turf room upon request.
- The running/walking track is designated for running, jogging and walking. Generally speaking, the inside lane is reserved for walkers, the middle lane is reserved for joggers and the outside lane is for runners.
- Direction: A clockwise direction will be used on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. A counterclockwise direction will be used on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- The track and upper level is not to be used as an observation area for gymnasium or rock wall activities. Leaning, sitting, or hanging on the railing is prohibited.
- Non-marking running shoes or gym shoes are appropriate for the track. No boots or spikes.
- Stretching is to be done in “off-track” designated areas.
- Participants must be 14 years or older or with a parent or guardian.
Cardio and Weightlifting Areas
- To be courteous to the next user, weight equipment is to be wiped down after each use. Disinfectant wipes are provided in exercise area. Please, consider bringing a towel to cover benches during workout. Covering the benches with towels prolongs the life of the equipment and reduces the spread of infections and illnesses.
- Participants must be 16 years of age or older to use the cardio, machine weight and free weight areas, fitness studio, and track. Participants 14-15 years old can use these areas once they have completed the Youth Weight Training certification course. Youth 12-13 years old can use these areas with a parent/guardian once they have completed the Youth Weight Training certification course.
- Personal belongings (backpacks, clothing, wallets, etc.) may not be placed anywhere in the Fitness Area. All personal items must be stored in locker rooms or second floor cubbies.
- All weight training should be performed in a controlled, safe manner. Dropping, slamming or bouncing of weights is prohibited.
- Spotters are highly recommended for all free weights.
- Collars (mechanism to keep the plates from falling off the bar) are required for free weight bars.
- Re-rack weights and dumbbells after use.
- Do not place weights or dumbbells on padded benches.
- Weight plates must be kept in free weight and plate-loaded areas.
- Dumbbell use is limited to one set of dumbbells at a time.
- Cardiovascular machine workouts are limited to 30 minutes if others are waiting.
- Please be courteous of others waiting to use weight equipment.
- Personal training may only be performed by trainers officially sanctioned by the LBC Director.
Group Fitness Classes
- Classes are first-come, first-serve.
- Please be on time. The warm-up is important to avoid injury. Do not enter a class if you are more than 5 minutes late.
- No personal belongings (i.e. bags, coats, etc.) are allowed in the exercise studio. Please use the locker room or cubbies outside the studio.
- For your safety, we recommend sneakers designed for aerobic classes. Sandals, street shoes, or bare feet are not permitted.
- No food or chewing gum allowed in the exercise studio (water bottles are allowed.)
- Children under 16 are not allowed in the yoga/fitness studio without being pre-enrolled in a supervised program or successfully completed the certification course.
- Classes with preregistration will be opened to wait list and drop-in patrons 5 minutes prior to class. If you are preregistered, you must arrive 5 minutes before the start of class to ensure your spot.
Reservations and Events
Wellness Center facilities are available for rental and reservation. Interested parties can contact the Wellness Center Administration.